Friday, March 28, 2014

Do You Hear the Pounding?

Imagine with me, if you will, an average day in the life of a "Christian".

Its dark and your tucked inside the warm covers with sweet dreams running through your head, when the alarm sounds and you grudgingly pull your arm out and slam it down on the snooze button. As you lay there, waiting for round 2 with the alarm clock, you begin to pray, "Thank you God for this day. Be with me today. Lord guide my steps, keep my family safe and help me to have a good day. In Jesus Name, Amen"

Round 2. You hit the snooze button, this time you begin to run through your to-do list for the day; it's going to be a busy one. By the time your alarm goes off for the third and final time you throw back the covers to begin your day. It starts off with the morning rush of showers, breakfast, dragging the kids out of bed, packing lunchboxes, coordinating schedules and making sure no one forgets anything. Then out the door everyone goes. As you drop Annie and Johnny off at school, you again say a quick prayer, "Lord Help them to have a good day, keep them safe, and let your light shine through them, In Jesus Name, Amen."

Off to work. Your day is filled with the menial tasks of your job and dealing with co-workers. Lunch comes and you run errands or you eat in the break room and listen to the gossip or talk with a coworker, maybe your even given the opportunity to pray with them. Back to work, busy, busy. Finally the day is done, but the work is not over.

Now it is the busiest time of the day. Johnny has a game you have to go to. Annie needs help with her school work, supper needs fixed, laundry needs done. Everyone eats at different times because they are all going in different directions. After supper, you clean up, make sure the kids have their homework done, pick up the house and if your lucky get to spend a few minutes with your spouse whom you have barely talked to all day before crawling back into bed exhausted with the list of undone tasks running through your head.

Am I right? Is that how the average day goes? or at least somewhat? I have often been criticized, because I stay at home, that I do not understand the life of a working mom, and I don't understand what it is like to have to try to carve out time for the relationships in your life. Maybe I don't, but then again, maybe I do and that is why I have chosen the life that I have. Relationships are important to me, the most important relationship is the one that often gets neglected by "Christians". Why am I putting quotes around the word "Christian"? Because, being a Christian is about having a relationship with Christ.

Instead of building that relationship, many Christians have chosen to run after idols. "What? How dare you say that? I don't worship idols. I love God. I'm a Christian." Really? What do you spend your time on? You start your day in prayer and maybe talk to Him through out the day, but do you ever take the time to listen? To get to know Him through His Word? My worse pet peeve is when people say they don't have time for devotions, or when they say things like "well you stay at home you have plenty of time". I can see Jesus up there looking down with eyes weeping, shaking His head.

Time is a precious thing. Here in America, time = money even. Time is probably the thing we want the most of and complain about the most. Yet, we don't give God our time. The longest chapter in the Bible is Psalm 119. It took me approximately 8 minutes to read and my daughter who is 12 years old about 20 minutes. I timed it. I challenge you to time it at your own speed. I will even be generous and say it would take you around 15 minutes or less to read it. Do you want to stand in front of Jesus on the day of judgment and say, "I'm sorry I couldn't even give you 15 minutes of my day"? How do you think He would react? I know that is harsh but seriously. Time is precious. and very soon our time on this earth will be done. How can we tell people about a God we don't even know? How can we share the love of Christ when we haven't taken the time to get to know what the love of Christ looks like?

We have made our jobs an idol; our spouses an idol; our kids an idol; our house an idol; our to-do list an idol; our "me time" to relax an idol: our entertainment an idol; money an idol. I could probably go on but I think you get the point. As you take the time to see how long it takes you to read Psalm 119 pay attention to what God is saying.

vs 10-11 I seek You with all my heart; do not let me stray from Your commands. I have hidden Your word in my heart that I might not sin against You.

vs 28 My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to Your word.

vs 36-37 Turn my heart toward Your statutes and not toward selfish gain. Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according to Your word

vs 40 How I long for your precepts!

vs 48 I reach out for Your commands, which I love, that I may meditate on Your decrees.

I can keep going. David was called a "man after God's own heart". I believe it was because David longed to spend time with his heavenly Daddy. He hungered to know God and to be known by Him. How would the world around us change if we, who call ourselves "Christians", would exhibit half the hunger David did?  I leave with one last verse.

 Revelation 3:19-20 "Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent. Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with Me."

 Do you hear the pounding!!
Will you take the time and set aside your idols to eat with your Beloved?


No comments:

Post a Comment